On October 16, 2019, TSO of Ukraine LLC and Tetra Tech *, the company that implements the USAID Energy Security Project **, signed a Memorandum of Cooperation. The parties agreed to engage and use international technical assistance to improve Ukraine’s energy security. The cooperation will last until June 30, 2023.
The USAID Energy Security Project should improve the environment for the further implementation of reforms in Ukraine’s energy sector. The Project also aims to contribute to the country’s international obligations fulfillment, as well as strengthen the energy security of Ukraine.
By signing the Memorandum, TSO of Ukraine LLC and USAID Energy Security Project have defined the terms of cooperation. In particular, the USAID Energy Security Project will assist the gas transportation company in:
- Updating the results of studies on the modernization of gas transit and storage in Ukraine;
- Developing changes to the legislation to move from metric (cubic meters) to energy (kWh) units for gas operations;
- Preparation of specifications for SCADA and EDM systems for the gas transmission system;
- Developing proposals for reforming the procurement process.
The results of the USAID Energy Security Project will contribute to the fulfillment of Ukraine’s international obligations under the Energy Community Treaty and the requirements of the Association Agreement between Ukraine, on the one hand, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community, and their other Member States.
* Tetra Tech, headquartered in Pasadena (California, USA), provides consulting and engineering services to global commercial and government clients in the areas of water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
** The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is an independent agency of the US federal government that is primarily responsible for US non-military assistance to foreign countries.